Since posting my Gripe Against Internet Explorer, I’ve had a little time to be better able to come to grips with the difficulties, challenges, and (dare I say?) adventure involved in programming websites to be viewable by the majority of the population. In my last post I found that nearly 70% of the Internet browsing marketshare is owned by Internet Explorer, and since none of the IEs supports Cascading Style Sheets in the same ways, I was forced to learn how to tell each version of IE to read and display my code as it was intended.
Interestingly enough, as minor code changes were making massive differences in the display of IE6 and IE7, the other browsers I worked with (Opera 8, 9 , Firefox 3, Google Chrome, Safari 3, Camino 1) were not affected by my code changes at all, and continued to consistently display the page I wanted.
During my time of “learning the ropes” of IE programming, I ran across a number of very useful tools on the Internet that aid in the development of websites, especially cross-browser IE compatibility checking. Here, I’ll present the tools I’ve found, a look at my current “under-development” website in a number of browsers, and a few links to some more IE CSS bugs that I’ve found helpful.
Read the rest of this entry »